Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Trip diario #3: Argentina and Uruguay

Buenos Aires

Ah, the big city. Paved roads, dogs on leashes, and street signs! In Peru, we had maps, but there were no street signs, so maps were a moot (moo) point. So the downside of urban life? As my sis put it, "Buenos aires? Malas aires more like it!" Haaaar. Air quality was terrible. I couldn't walk around for more than a couple of minutes before I got something in my eye. The streets smell like exhaust and poo is EVERYWHERE. Poo! There's more poo in BA than there is in France! And I mean all of France.

We took a walking tour of landmarks and architecture, as dictated by our guide book.

Congreso district

This building wasn't on the tour but looks cool, doesn't it?

Cafe Tortoni for lunch

Casa Rosada, the government building. The president's offices are here.

More importantly, Madonna sang "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" off the balcony here. Try to restrain yourself from humming that song while walking around in Argentina. You can't. It's kind of like not singing "Moulin Rouge" when you're in Paris.

Parilla - Argentinian BBQ. It sounds and smells delicious. Consists of sirloin, chicken, and chorizo. Yum.

And ... kidney, intestine, and blood sausage. Hm. I mean, it tasted good, but mentally, kind of a difficult meal. Those glasses of Coke were life savers.

Colonia, Uruguay

Colonia's a mere three hours away by boat, so off we went. The boat is called Buquebus, which is kind of fun to chant to yourselves while you wait to board. Say it drawn out like this: boooooo-kay-boooooos.

Morning over the Rio de la Plata

Colonia is so cute. And very European.


These kids thought this building was haunted. And I would have to agree.

That's why I stood away from the building because ghosts can reach through walls and grab you with their ghostly hands. Foolish children.

We ate a gigantic lunch. So big that we didn't need to eat dinner later and weren't even hungry the next morning. But there's always room for ice cream. Specifically, the Argentine specialty, dulce de leche.


3 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger mayz said...

Mmmmm.... I miss dulce de leche!! It was EVERYWHERE we went. Two out of three Argentinian desserts had some dulce de leche in it.

Mal-O-s Aires.

mooooooooooo!
(air quotes)
haha

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Francis Larkin said...

Whaaa? No delicious guinea pig? Awesome pics, Audrey!

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful pics! i want to climb the machu picchu mountain too! i love llamas!! looks like you guys had a great time. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home