Sunday, June 22, 2008

Summer solstice

I love summer concerts. I love sitting under the stars during a lovely night. Mmm... The sister and I went to Death Cab for Cutie at the Greek Theater in Berkeley on Saturday.

We got pretty good seats.

We ended up in the lower level of the Greek and looked upon a mosh pit gathering down below. No thanks, we said, we'll sit a bit farther up. What a great view and we can remain seated. We're kind of tired, said the old people.

We passed time by observing other people. We observed Older Dating Couple who were mixing their own margaritas, Marrieds on Their Fifth Beers, and Mean Girls who were making fun of Man Having a Good Time Dancing. We also observed People Observing Other People.

Rogue Wave from Oakland opened and immediately we realized the problem. People sitting in the first row can't see over the moshers. So they have to stand. So the second row stands and so on. Curses!, we said. And then we stood.

I wasn't that familiar with Death Cab's newer stuff, but I really liked it. They played some of the old favorites, too. They played the longest encore I'd ever heard. In the middle of the third song, we, thinking this must be the last song, decided to listen to the rest of it from the exit and beat the crowd out. As we hung out on the side along the stage, the usher said to us, go ahead and go down there. Ok!, we said.

We got pretty close.

How cool!, we said. Hey, maybe we go in a little closer.

We got pretty closer.

Cooler!, we said. Maybe we just touch him a little- no. Too close. We ended up hanging out down there while they played two more songs for the encore.

Then we ate yogurt. The end.

1 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger mayz said...

Don't forget Standing Couple Who Made Space for Themselves When There was no Space and Blocked our View!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home