Monday, March 19, 2007

Hi, I'm Thomas Jefferson

We interviewed and elected the new law review board (and did some amending of bylaws) this past weekend using Robert's Rules of Order. Who is this Robert? I don't know. But his rules, as cumbersome as they are, are actually quite effective in keeping order.

Guy 1: I motion to vote to amend the bylaws in the following manner: blah blah blah ...
Guy 2: I second.
Editor-in-chief: All in favor?
Most: AYE.
EIC: Opposed?
Few: nay.
EIC: Motion passed.

Same kind of thing happens with the actual vote, only now you need a hand vote and a 3/4 majority. So every vote requires two steps, after all the discussion (which you need to motion to do).

We did this for 4 days.

Tram, delirious (whispering): I motion to amend the bylaws to include a picture of a monkey.
Both: *crying laughing*

Though, at the end of the day, I came away with a whole new respect for my peers and I feel good about the way we elected the incoming board.

2 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

I motion to amend the bylaws to change the spelling of "board" to "bored".

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

being a Framer is so, so fun. can i be benjamin franklin?

i mean, if that's ok with justine (i love you justine). WWJD WWJD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home